Microcontrollers and Stepper Motor
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Admin
Admin
https://shellamaybaja.forumotion.com

Stepper Motor Empty Stepper Motor

Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:53 pm
Introduction

Stepper motors are impressive little engines that may not be getting the credit they deserve, as they are a relatively important part of our electronic lives. Printers and CNC machines are mass-produced products we take for granted that employ stepper motors to do our work. The vast majority of the public may not even know they exist; so we’re going to take a brief look into what types of stepper motors there are, how they work, and why we use them.    

Stepper Motor Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ7LiOJOffV3-WgvW-wEJvRGHBLVRj0PIJrIfBlJ2j4K7paueYW

What is Stepper Motor?

Stepper motors are DC motors that move in discrete steps. They have multiple coils that are organized in groups called "phases". By energizing each phase in sequence, the motor will rotate, one step at a time.

With a computer controlled stepping you can achieve very precise positioning and/or speed control. For this reason, stepper motors are the motor of choice for many precision motion control applications.

How do they work?    

Stepper motors are DC charged coils arranged in a circle into what’s called an “array.” As each “phase” or coil in the array is energized, it rotates the motor. Each small rotation is referred to as a step, which is where the name, stepper motor derives from, and each has its own characteristics, such as size and number of phases.

Stepper Motor Stepper%20Motor

Controlling these fascinating little machines is a bit more involved than your run-of-the-mill DC motor. Since each design has been uniquely adapted to the task it’s assigned to do, there are some equally unique electronics that control them.

Structure of Stepper Motor

Stepper Motor Stepper-motor-structural-diagram

What are stepper motors good for?

Positioning – Since steppers move in precise repeatable steps, they excel in applications requiring precise positioning such as 3D printers, CNC, Camera platforms and X,Y Plotters. Some disk drives also use stepper motors to position the read/write head.

Speed Control – Precise increments of movement also allow for excellent control of rotational speed for process automation and robotics.

Low Speed Torque - Normal DC motors don't have very much torque at low speeds. A Stepper motor has maximum torque at low speeds, so they are a good choice for applications requiring low speed with high precision.

Application of Stepper Motor

Industrial Machines – Stepper motors are used in automotive gauges and machine tooling automated production equipments.

Security – new surveillance products for the security industry.

Medical – Stepper motors are used inside medical scanners, samplers, and also found inside digital dental photography, fluid pumps, respirators and blood analysis machinery.

Consumer Electronics – Stepper motors in cameras for automatic digital camera focus and zoom functions.
Miley
GURU

Stepper Motor Empty Re: Stepper Motor

Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:15 pm
What is the difference of stepper motor to servo motor and dc motors?
Shennel
GURU

Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:36 pm
Stepper Motors have a phases right?
Shennel
GURU

Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:37 pm
Shennel wrote:Stepper Motors have a phases right?

If there is What Are They?
Shennel
GURU

Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:39 pm
Shennel wrote:

Stepper Motors have a difference in numbers of wires how can i identify them?
Shakugan
GURU

Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:55 am
Shennel wrote:

Actually there are 2 phases in stepper Motor These are the BIPOLAR and the UNIPOLAR
Shennel
GURU

Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:58 am
Shakugan wrote:
Shennel wrote:

Actually there are 2 phases in stepper Motor These are the BIPOLAR and the UNIPOLAR

What is BIPOLAR?
Shennel
GURU

Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:59 am
Shennel wrote:
Shakugan wrote:
Shennel wrote:

What is BIPOLAR?

What is the difference between BIPOLAR and UNIPOLAR?
Shennel
GURU

Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:01 am
Is it true that there are 3 types of stepper motor...
Shennel
GURU

Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:03 am
Shennel wrote:Is it true that there are 3 types of stepper motor...

What are they because Shakugan said that there is BIPOLAR and UNIPOLAR
Shennel
GURU

Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:04 am
Shakugan wrote:
Shennel wrote:

So how can i identify if i have a bipolar or unipolar
Shennel
GURU

Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:05 am
Shennel wrote:
Shakugan wrote:
Shennel wrote:

So how can i identify if i have a bipolar or unipolar
as far as i know stepper motors have a difference in terms of winding
Shennel
GURU

Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:08 am
admin can you please help me?
Shennel
GURU

Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:09 am
Shennel wrote:admin can you please help me?
stepper motors is really hard to manipulate i dont know how will I use it thanks
Zebin
GURU

Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:22 am
who is the inventor of stepper motor?
Shakugan
GURU

Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:26 am
[quote="Shennel"]
Shakugan wrote:
Shennel wrote:

So how can i identify if i have a bipolar or unipolar[/quote

Bipolar Stepper Motor – There is only a single winding per phase. The driving circuit needs to be more complicated to reverse the magnetic pole; this is done to reverse the current in the winding. This is done with a H-bridge arrangement, however there are several driver chips that can be purchased to make this a more simple task.
Shakugan
GURU

Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:27 am
Shakugan wrote:
Shennel wrote:
Shakugan wrote:
Shennel wrote:

Bipolar Stepper Motor – There is only a single winding per phase. The driving circuit needs to be more complicated to reverse the magnetic pole; this is done to reverse the current in the winding. This is done with a H-bridge arrangement, however there are several driver chips that can be purchased to make this a more simple task.

Unipolar Stepper Motor - Operates with one winding with a center tap per phase. Each section of the winding is switched on for each direction of the magnetic field. Each winding is made relatively simple with the commutation circuit; this is done since the arrangement has a magnetic pole which can be reversed without switching the direction of the current.
Shakugan
GURU

Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:30 am
Shakugan wrote:
Shakugan wrote:
Shennel wrote:
Shakugan wrote:
Shennel wrote:

Unipolar Stepper Motor - Operates with one winding with a center tap per phase. Each section of the winding is switched on for each direction of the magnetic field. Each winding is made relatively simple with the commutation circuit; this is done since the arrangement has a magnetic pole which can be reversed without switching the direction of the current.

If we are going to compare the bipolar to unipolar, i think bipolar is too complex to drive because you need to use ic drive in order to reverse the current
Shakugan
GURU

Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:34 am
Shakugan wrote:
Shakugan wrote:
Shakugan wrote:
Shennel wrote:
Shakugan wrote:
Shennel wrote:

If we are going to compare the bipolar to unipolar, i think bipolar is too complex to drive because  you need to use ic drive in order to reverse the current

How to know if your stepper motor is unipolar or bipolar?
General rules:
4 Wires- Bipolar
5 Wires – Unipolar
6 Wires – Universal
8 Wires - Universal
Shakugan
GURU

Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:35 am
Shakugan wrote:
Shakugan wrote:
Shakugan wrote:
Shakugan wrote:
Shennel wrote:
Shakugan wrote:
Shennel wrote:

If we are going to compare the bipolar to unipolar, i think bipolar is too complex to drive because  you need to use ic drive in order to reverse the current

How to know if your stepper motor is unipolar or bipolar?
General rules:
4 Wires- Bipolar
5 Wires – Unipolar
6 Wires – Universal
8 Wires - Universal

Universal means you can make the stepper motor a bipolar or unipolar
Shakugan
GURU

Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:37 am
Admin i know unipolar is easy to drive compare to bipolar ?
Shakugan
GURU

Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:38 am
Shakugan wrote:Admin i know unipolar is easy to drive compare to bipolar ?
Can you pleas tell us how to drive it since it is the one easy
Shakugan
GURU

Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:40 am
Shakugan wrote:
I dont need to use ic drive in driving unipolar right?
Shakugan
GURU

Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:40 am
Shakugan wrote:
Shakugan wrote:
I dont need to use ic drive in driving unipolar right?
I will wait for your response admin thank you
Zebin
GURU

Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:33 pm
Shennel wrote:
Shennel wrote:admin can you please help me?
stepper motors is really hard to manipulate i dont know how will I use it thanks
Yes its true actually i bought a bipolar stepper but sad to say i did not able to use it because the micro controller I use for it is not appropriate
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum